By Phil/Edited by Con/35th and Jackson
Fall is upon us. This means one thing, Oregon State football is rocking and starting.
A special correspondent gives his unique findings (edited for clarity) on the August 17th Family Fun/Football Scrimmage for OSU. Here we go from Phil himself…
(EDIT) Andy bold prediction: Herbert plays 9 games max this year…
- #21 CB Nashon Wright. “Frickin legit.” Has the skills and ability to contribute right away. Will be a fine member of the JC Corner U that OSU has created.
- #13 S Trajon Cotton “brings the lumber” Will be awesome on special teams and haven’t heard much in practice about him but will get some major playing time especially with possible injuries to starters David Morris and Jalen Moore.
- #1 WR Tyjon Lindsey should be “our punt returner.” Looks like he is plenty focus on football… 😉 @AndrewNemec… STUD WR that will be awesome for the offense this year and an athlete similar to James Rogers. Although, #15 Champ Flemmings looks VERY elusive and has great angles and speed in the return game… “Are kickoff returns even allowed now in NCAA?”
- #34 LB Avery Roberts plays with a nasty attitude. HUGE step up from MLB’s of recent. Looks like he can back up the attitude with his play as well.
- #82 DE Cory Stover has Stork potential. Please see NFL reference for “the stork.” Marshfield local product will need to add some weight but huge upside at D-End for what OSU coaches have constantly said they are looking for on the edge for someone who can set it and has the length to keep it and rush the passer.
- #12 Jack Colletto, a great QB, now plays LB, and plays on kick off return team. Will be a great site with him plunging in for a TD in the WildCat and then have him being the wedge buster on kick off coverage team…YUMMY.
- The offense looked rusty and improved defense made them not look as good… (heavily edited comment)
- #17 Isiah Hodgins (Hodgkin’s disease) is a possession big bodied receiver. Don’t expect him to use his speed anytime soon or lack there of… see USC game last year… Still, he is a dominant WR.
- #99 Elu Aydon made a few nice plays but was finger wagging… Might want to re think that approach until he can stay on the field for multiple plays on a drive…
- Our stable of RB’s is an embarrassment of riches. It is unlike anything I have ever seen in the 30 years I have watched Beaver football… However, it will not matter if we have a few injuries upfront on the O-Line as we are not that deep there yet…
- One year and two weeks until competitive every game in Phil’s estimate. Does not mean games will not be competitive this year but possibly a few blowouts may still exist.
- Onward. Onward, together.